Section 63 Assessor

Section 63

When do the regulations apply?

Regulations apply from 1 September 2016. They apply to larger buildings, those with a floor area of more than 1,000 m² and are triggered by either sale or by lease to a new tenant. Generally, owners of such buildings also require to provide a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) in such situations. Buildings that meet energy standards equivalent to those introduced by the 2002 building regulations (these buildings are already reasonably energy efficient); or are already improved via a Green Deal (a UK Government funding mechanism) are exempted from the regulations.

What do the regulations require?

Where the regulations apply, the owner of the building must undertake further assessment to produce an ‘Action Plan’ which identifies targets for improvement of the carbon and energy performance of the building and how these targets would be met through physical improvements to the property. Once an Action Plan is finalised, the owner can chose to improve or to defer the improvements by reporting operational energy ratings (actual measured energy use via a Display Energy Certificate or ‘DEC’) on an annual basis. All Action Plans and DECs are lodged to the Scottish EPC Register.


As is the case with an EPC, the Action Plan must be made available to prospective buyers or tenants and provided to the new owner or tenant. Provision of the Action Plan is all that is required to enable marketing of the property. Building on the existing EPC assessor role, the Action Plan will be produced by persons also registered as a ‘section 63 advisor’, who have demonstrated competence in the assessment procedure and the provision of improvement advice to building owners.

Requirements are discussed in detail in the document ‘Improving Energy Performance and Emissions in existing Non-Domestic Buildings– a guide for owners'.


ecmk operates an Accreditation Scheme for Domestic Energy Assessors which will give you:

  • A licence to operate
  • A means of lodging the EPCs you produce with the Central Register
  • Technical survey support
  • On-going training for Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
  • The assurance of a quality control process

All Energy Assessors need to be accredited to lodge EPCs.


At present, a Section 63 assessor is required to have met the minimum requirements as per the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009 - The Assessment of Energy Performance of Non-domestic Buildings (Scotland) Regulations 2016.


Contact ecmk on 0333 123 1418 or email for further details.